What are best LR and LG drills for the last 2 weeks before test?

• May 18, 2016 at 9:27 am #1854
      carmenstclaire
      Participant

Hi Mike, no I didn’t postpone, I’m going on 6/6 so I’m down to the wire. I’d like to use PT 62-71 for drill work as I’ve done them all twice and remember a lot of the answers which gives me a ‘false’ good timing. I went on the LSAT LR drill tool but cannot print the lists. The tutorial states that Luddites, (like me) can download to PDF, can I just print list from the page?

• May 18, 2016 at 6:04 pm #1864
      Mike Kim
      Keymaster

Hey Carmen —

In terms of the q’s — the PDF will offer the easiest way to print and the best print out in terms of organization etc. — you can just open it and hit print — if instead you want to just print the webpage you are on, you can either right-click and hit print, or do a screen-capture, which on a mac you do by simultaneously hitting command-shift-and 4, which will then bring out crosshairs you can adjust (not sure how to do it on a non-mac, but you can just google screen-capture) —

In terms of getting ready for test day —

Overall, I strongly recommend that you focus on taking full, ideally fresh, exams between now and test day — if you’ve already used up the ones you have, you can buy individual ones from Amazon for about $7 each — here’s a link to the latest published exam — http://goo.gl/l2ufRi.

And if you want some tips on taking those final pt’s, please take a look at the review sections in the Trainer, and also this post, if you haven’t seen it already.

You may already know/be thinking of all that but just thought I’d mention it.

In terms of potential drill, I recommend focusing on areas that are going to fundamental to your success on test day, and, specifically, areas that can help you get off to a good start on individual problems, games, or passages —

For LR — go through past sections you’ve done, just looking at question stems — make sure you understand each question stem, and that appropriate strategies come to mind for each question stem you look at. Take note of the ones where you aren’t sure of what they are asking or how you might go about solving that type of q, and review.

For LG — go through past sections you’ve done, simply looking at each scenario and set of rules and visualizing how you might diagram that game and each rule. Go ahead and write out these diagrams if you’d like. Take note of game situations/rules where you have trouble visualizing what you ought to do, and review those areas.

For RC — go through past sections you’ve done, just reading passages — make sure you feel like you have certain set LSAT RC reading habits, and make sure, for each passage, that you feel comfortable seeing its reasoning structure correctly. For extra credit, try any main purpose q’s to make sure your overall understanding is strong.

That’s it — I’m excited for you and wish you the best on the test — hope those suggestions help — Mike

• May 19, 2016 at 4:39 pm #1876
      carmenstclaire
      Participant

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I am taking your advice and going over each test section I take slowly after the 35 minutes and checking my own answers, then going to the answer key. Very helpful. I realize that sometimes I need to slow down as I tend to get the answers if I read carefully. Will have to make up speed as the week goes by. I DID print the pages from the LR tool set, again, very helpful drills! Will keep you informed as to progress. Now, I have a question about PT 31, LR sec.2, q. 19–Drew’s flowers—all of the answers look like they could weaken the argument. Do you need me to type out the stimulus? Correct answer is B. ‘Some people send flowers for a reason other than the desire to please’…..But, doesn’t C. ‘Someone who does not know Drew well would be unlikely to send Drew flowers’ work just as well?

• May 20, 2016 at 5:41 pm #1885
      Mike Kim
      Keymaster

Hi Carmen,

Glad to hear you found the tips and resources helpful —

In terms of 31-2-19 – tough question, in large part because there is a lot of information to deal with —

In general, for questions that require you to critically evaluate arguments, if a majority of answers are sounding attractive to you, that’s, usually a sign that your understanding of the argument flaw isn’t as clear as it can be. This is because the vast majority of wrong answers for these problems are wrong primarily because they do not directly relate to the specific reasoning issue.

And so in situations where you find yourself not being able to recognize many of the answers as being obviously incorrect, I think it can be helpful to recognize that that the issue is probably with your understanding of the gap, so you can try to address it by re-evaluating the conclusion, support, and so on —

Okay, so going back to this specific q — to paraphrase —

The author’s conclusion is that the florist must have made some sort of mistake.

What’s the reasoning?

If the person who sent Drew flowers knows him well, that person would have known Drew prefers violets. And yet the flowers were roses.

If the person who sent Drew flowers didn’t know him well, that person would have sent a card. Drew did not receive a card.

The second part is rock solid in terms of the logic — we know for certain the person would have sent a card and we know for certain Drew did not receive one — and, since Drew did not receive that card, we know that either someone who doesn’t know Drew well did not send the flowers, or if they did, there was some sort of mistake.

The first part is where the gap exists. Knowing someone prefers one thing doesn’t mean you must get that person the thing. My 2-year-old always prefers to eat ice cream, but that doesn’t mean I always give that to her as her meal. For this particular problem, maybe the store had a sale on roses, or the particular occasion is one connected to roses (Valentine’s Day) etc.

So to summarize, the specific gap in reasoning is that the author takes for granted that someone who knows Drew prefers violets must send violets.

In terms of this specific gap between preference and what must be, (B) is the only answer that touches on that particular issue, and if (B) is true, it certainly exposes the issue that knowing someone’s preference doesn’t guarantee a certain action.

I hope that helps clear it up — again, tough problem, and maybe it was something totally different that tripped you up on it! — but as always, I hope you found that useful, and let me know if you have any follow-up — MK

• May 22, 2016 at 12:59 pm #1893
      carmenstclaire
      Participant

Dear Mike,

Thank you so much, yes I do see the big picture of Drew’s flowers and I’m always relieved when I hear a logical explanation of why I didn’t see it in the first place. But I doubt I’d have the time during a test to reason something like that out in 1 minute, 20 seconds. Those questions are rare, (at least I hope they will be rare on the June test). I am feeling far more confident using the LR drill tool and just going over your LG chapters. I finally understood SOME of the birds in the forest game in Lesson 21. I’m trying to figure out how jays and shrikes can be together in question 9. But I’m encouraged because that game threw me the first time I saw it.

You’re the best!
      Carmen

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.