Tips on LR Review

• February 5, 2018 at 8:07 am #55030
    ijs93
    Participant

Hi Mike,

How do you recommend reviewing LR after completing all the LR lessons in The Trainer? Test day is rapidly approaching so I wanted to ask you directly how I should spend the rest of the time I have before the test reviewing and strengthen my LR skills. As always, any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all your awesome help with preparing for the LSAT, it’s been such a huge help!

• February 5, 2018 at 1:51 pm #55594
    Mike Kim
    Keymaster

Hey —

Here is a list of steps you can take to review your LR — as I always say, you know yourself best, so please feel free to utilize whatever helps and to ignore whatever you feel like ignoring 🙂 —

Some big picture goals to keep in mind — you want to gain/refine your understanding + develop/refine positive methods/habits —

1) First time experiencing LR Q, in PT, section, or drill set, try to solve it exactly as you would during the exam. As you are doing so, also mark (for future reference) q’s for which you are not 100% certain of the right answer, as well as q’s you can’t figure out at all.

2) Next, return to the problems and solve them again, this time untimed and with every effort to fully understand the problem and confirm the correct answer. Think carefully about how you solved the problem the first time, and assess which steps you took were helpful and (perhaps more significantly), where you wasted time in ways you wish you hadn’t. Revise your markings of q’s that you weren’t 100% sure of / couldn’t figure out.

3) Look up correct answers.

4) Think about how you performed relative to these correct answers — pay particular attention to q’s you felt certain you got right but missed. For all q’s, see if, knowing what the right answer, you can reverse engineer the underlying structure of the q. Again, think about how you could have solved problems correctly in real-time.

5) For problems where you just can’t figure out why the right answer is right, after you’ve made sure to struggle as much as you can first on your own, check solutions from reputable sources — for LR, I recommend the LSAT Hacks solutions and the Manhattan LSAT forums —

6) Try problems again timed and as realistically as possible and expect to perform significantly better.

I understand you are close to test day, so you have to try and weigh the benefits of doing more practice vs going more in-depth with your work — so, that’s a tough call, and you’ll need to figure out how to balance that, but, in terms of reviewing LR, I hope the above gives you some ideas —

MK

• February 6, 2018 at 8:03 am #57331
    ijs93
    Participant

Thank you for the advice!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.