F.A.Q. Links: Tips for Drilling and Practice Exams

• April 13, 2016 at 10:04 am #1720
      Mike Kim
      Keymaster

Here are some posts meant to help you get a bit more out of your drilling and pt work —

Part 1) Developing The Right Focus, Thinking, and Confidence

Part 2) Suggestions For TIming Your Practice Exams

Part 3) The Most Important LSAT Fundamentals

Part 4) How to Review Your Logic Games Drilling & PT Work

Part 5) How to Review Your Reading Comprehension Drilling & PT Work

Part 6) How to Review Your Logical Reasoning Drilling & PT Work

Part 7) 14 Quick Tips For Your Final LSAT Practice Exams

And in addition, if any of you have other questions or advice about drilling or practice exams, please feel free to add them here — and perhaps we can build up a little treasure trove of insight.

— MK

• April 18, 2016 at 7:31 am #1738
      jayd
      Participant

Mike and I have been trading messages and he encouraged me to share my thoughts on review in particular:

One thing I love to do either when reviewing individual Logic Games or just missed questions in general is to implement the Promodoro Technique. (30 minutes followed by a 5 minute break, with the occasional 10 minute break). I find that this really helps me stay focused and not “pass-over” questions to review or take the easy way out. I feel like I really put fourth maximum brain power into each review session. I have noticed that this also slows the onset of burnout pretty well.

I will often combine the Promodoro Technique with a website blocker to prevent me from “going down the rabbit hole” of distraction when looking up answers online. If I think of something I need to do (pay a bill, write an email, etc..) I will write it on a sticky note and do it during one of the 5/10 minute breaks. This gets it out of my head and allows me to focus thoroughly on review.

The other strategy I use (this would get me shamed forever on TLS) is listen to music while I review. I find this helps keep me focused, and keep my mind from thinking how boring review is. (As an aside, sometimes I will attempt an RC passage with some loud EDM music in my headphones to practice focus – yes, I am aware this odd but I enjoy it).

I hope this was of help to some of you – feel free to message me if you have any questions!

JD

• April 18, 2016 at 11:50 am #1740
      Mike Kim
      Keymaster

Just for the record, I also usually listen to music as I work/study (so we can feel shame together), and I’m also a fan of the Pomodoro method and think it works great for test prep.

• April 22, 2016 at 8:55 am #1764
      Mike Kim
      Keymaster

All 6 mini-articles are now up — hope you all find them useful, and if you have any additional q’s or comments about drilling and pt work, please post them here.

• April 22, 2016 at 9:50 pm #1766
      LSAT Dan
      Participant

Mike – This was a great series of articles you posted!  Super streamlined, super practical.

• May 3, 2016 at 6:28 pm #1789
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I’ll have to try the Pomodoro technique from now. Thanks everyone!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.