takes for granted vs fails to consider clarification

• June 17, 2016 at 11:08 am #2062
      kkajy
      Participant

Hi,
      I’m really confused on takes for granted vs. fails to consider on the first flaw drill in lesson 5.
      I don’t know if I am just over thinking it, or what; I have tried to look up help online but still cannot grasp it completely.
      Can someone please explain the difference between the two?

Thank you!!

• June 17, 2016 at 11:32 am #2063
      LSAT Dan
      Participant

In both cases, one possible position is being asserted as THE correct position, even though another position might be correct. So they’re two different sides of the same coin. “Takes for granted” is the wording that describes that position being chosen (i.e., it’s an assumption), while “fails to consider” refers to the position being ignored.

For instance, if I try a Coke Zero and proclaim it to be the best diet drink ever, I’m “taking for granted” (i.e. assuming) that Pepsi does NOT have a product that’s better.

I’m “failing to consider” (ignoring) the possibility that Pepsi DOES have a product that’s better.

• June 17, 2016 at 11:39 am #2064
      kkajy
      Participant

I read your post from before! It helped me somewhat!! But can you explain using another example..please!

“Did you know Ted is older than Grandma? He must be really old!”

• June 17, 2016 at 12:29 pm #2065
      LSAT Dan
      Participant

So, “takes for granted” is what the person believes; “fails to consider” is what the person *doesn’t* believe.

In you’re example, the person is taking for granted that anyone older than Grandma is really old.
      He or she is failing to consider that someone older than Grandma might not be really old.

• June 18, 2016 at 1:34 am #2067
      feelinglawful
      Participant

Thanks Dan! Is it okay for us to just mentally replace “takes for granted” with “assumes that” and fails to consider with “ignores the fact?”

• June 18, 2016 at 7:14 am #2068
      LSAT Dan
      Participant

The only thing I’d change in your paraphrase is instead of “ignores the fact,” make it “ignores the possibility.” Other than that, I’d say you nailed it!

• June 18, 2016 at 10:58 am #2069
      feelinglawful
      Participant

Awesome, thank you!

• June 21, 2016 at 11:00 am #2083
      kkajy
      Participant

thanks, Dan!!

• June 21, 2016 at 3:12 pm #2085
      LSAT Dan
      Participant

Very welcome; glad you (both) found it helpful.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.