Study as Play

• February 9, 2016 at 8:16 am #1506
      Mike Kim
      Keymaster

Study as Play. What an absurd idea.

Imagine that the makers of the LSAT devised a section where they a) gave you clues that led to you having to come up with vocabulary terms b) told you how many letters these words contained and c) made it so that these words then had to fit on some overlapping vertical and horizontal crossing pattern, so that the letters you used for one word limited what letters you could use for another.

Or imagine that, in order to test your ability to keep, organize, and utilize various types of rules, they asked you to play a game with sixty-four squares, and two different colored teams, and characters named kings and queens and rooks and so on, each of which, you are told, moves in its own unique way.

Here’s a very short video that I think really nails it in terms of the value of seeing work (or study) as play —

I understand that life can make it very difficult to think of your LSAT prep as being enjoyable — Russian Roulette and Duck Duck Goose work by the same basic principle and it’s the consequences that make one far less fun than the other — but I also know that there are some of you out there who are a bit strange like me and feel tempted to find studying for this test to actually be a little bit of fun — and I just wanted to show you that I support that 100%.

• February 10, 2016 at 3:13 pm #1516
      LSAT Dan
      Participant

Love it, and I also give you the Special Academy Award for Best Analogy for the comparison of Duck Duck Goose and Russian Roulette!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.