How much notes should we be taking?

• May 24, 2016 at 4:46 am #1910
      alkamali
      Participant

Hi Everyone,

New member here, and I have recently gotten a copy of The LSAT Trainer. I’ve begun by reading the first two chapters and have been questioning whether I should be writing down all the important points in the text? There seems to be a lot of material here, how did you folks manage to digest and process all this information?

I understand that when it comes to specifics and details about certain questions/strategies it would be wise to take notes, however did anyone find it useful to also take notes about the background or context of what they test makers were trying to achieve by formatting the exam the way the author describes? (Particularly the first two chapters).

Also on a unrelated note, I have not attempted to do a “cold diagnostic test” however is it normal to be struggling to get the right answers the very first time around? I’ve been reading about other people scoring 165-170’s without even having any background knowledge or any practice; and I can’t help but to feel like I’m lagging behind intellectually. It’s only my third day studying the LSAT material; any other opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks!

• May 24, 2016 at 4:21 pm #1911
      34iplaw
      Participant

I think it depends how you usually study.  If you can read and retain, I see no reason to take notes unless something is harder for you to grasp.

Personally, I’ve been taking far more notes than I usually do.  It slows my reading down a bit which I think is important.

I’d take the cold diagnostic when you have a chance.  Personally, I think it’d be fine to read a brief intro on LG, so you have some remote clue what is going on.  I scored fairly high [but I didn’t really take it as a diagnostic… i.e. didn’t just sit down and knock it out].  I wouldn’t worry…especially if you lose most of your points in LG and LR.  Those sections have the most room for improvement.  RC is a bit trickier, but there is definitely room for improvement depending on what is tripping you up.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.