Flaw in the argument and weakening the argument

• April 17, 2017 at 6:59 pm #3058
      Alexandra
      Participant

on pg 286 with the drill about prostatectomies, I chose F as the flaw in the argument and not J because I was thinking along the lines of that flaw where the best detective in the precinct having a really low rate of solving crimes but its because they gave that detective the hardest cases, so I looked at this issue the same, the reasoning being the more traditional took longer because they had the harder cases whereas the new way got the easier cases. Thanks!

• April 21, 2017 at 9:42 am #3060
      Mike Kim
      Keymaster

Hi Alexandra —

I think what may be causing the issue here is how you are interpreting the given tasks (as opposed to the argument itself) —

When we are asked to identify the flaw in an argument, we need an answer that, in some way, gives a direct description of the reasoning relationship between support and conclusion, which also explaining why that reasoning is wrong.

Answer choice F is something that, if true, would help show that the reasoning is flawed (and that’s why F would be viable as a “weaken” answer), but answer choice F is not, in and of itself, a direct description of the flaw.

I hope that makes sense and I hope that helps — MK

• April 24, 2017 at 9:56 pm #3064
      Alexandra
      Participant

Thank you so much!!!!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.