Expanding the 16-Week Schedule

• April 1, 2016 at 7:56 am #1647
      hsharple
      Participant

Hello! I’m planning on taking the September 24 test, and was going to use the 16-week schedule template to structure my studies.

I’ll be starting pretty soon, but I had a question about how I could best expand on this time frame. I.e., I want to study for more than 16 weeks, so I’m wondering how I can best do that. Should I focus more on taking (and reviewing) practice exams at the end of the 16 weeks? Focus on drilling? Should I repeat the whole process in a shortened version?

Additionally, I’m a high school teacher, so will have two months over the summer to really dedicate to study. I’m wondering what would be the most efficient way to utilize that time as well.

Thanks for the help!

• April 4, 2016 at 12:16 pm #1654
      Mike Kim
      Keymaster

Hi Hunter —

Nice to meet you online, and thanks so much for trusting in the Trainer — excited to see what you think of it (especially because you are a teacher) and, more importantly, I hope it helps you get where you need/want to get —

My advice is to start with the 16 week schedule as a backbone, keep some extra weeks free (and you can even print out extra blank schedule pages to account for these weeks in your calendar or notebook or whatever) — and then, as you get deeper into your prep process, utilize those extra weeks to do additional work in any areas where you see fit — if you feel you need more drilling with a particular LR q type, or you want to go back and reassess/rebuild how you are reading RC passages, you just get the sense you are going to need more practice exams then the schedule suggests and so on, you can make those types of adjustments —

To oversimplify and use a high school-based analogy —

The LSAT is very tough, but the challenge isn’t like the challenge of learning Calculus or learning to interpret Shakespeare (what I think of “advanced” topics because, well, those topics are “well beyond my capacity to easily understand”) — the challenge is much more akin to having to bring together the basic and fundamental things you are learning in your English and math classes, but in ways that you are not used to bringing them together —

And that’s a big reason why I believe that the best study schedule is a flexible one — each student has his or her own unique set of strengths and weaknesses, and the best students are often the ones that are best at tailoring their study schedules to best match those strengths and weaknesses —

I think that being in your shoes, and having some extra time ahead and some extra weeks to play with, puts you in a great position to get in whatever you end up needing most — so again, my opinion is that it’s best to just start with that schedule, and also with the understanding that you will be adjusting it along the way —

Hope that helps, and if you’d like any more specific thoughts or advice at any point further down your study process, just let me know and I’ll try to help in any way I can — and again, I’m excited to see what you think of the Trainer and hope you find it useful —

Take care — Mike

• April 5, 2016 at 1:52 pm #1664
      hsharple
      Participant

Thanks Mike!

I’ve just started the first week and am really into it.

I did have a quick question: I’m doing some one-off problem sets with the June 2007 test (the free LSAC one) before I do PT 62 this weekend, and I was wondering if you had a recommended source for answer explanations to this test? The June 2007. I found a couple online, but didn’t know if you had one you’d recommend more than the others.

Thanks!

Hunter

• April 5, 2016 at 3:25 pm #1667
      Mike Kim
      Keymaster

Hi Hunter —

There are three main sources I recommend most for LSAT solutions —

The Manhattan LSAT forums

7Sage &

LSAT Hacks (Graeme Blake’s website)

One thing you’ll notice is that there will be differences in terms of methods, but that’s to be expected and you’ll also see that there is generally great commonality to all legit LSAT systems —

I have links to the above sites, as well as some other free resources that I recommend, here — http://thelsattrainer.academy/best-free-lsat-prep-tools/

HTH and if you have any follow-up just let me know — Mike

• April 13, 2016 at 10:11 am #1721
      hsharple
      Participant

Hey Mike,

So, I’ve taken my diagnostic exam and am now plowing through the lessons (about to finish 9). While taking the test, I felt like I was getting my butt kicked, but ended up doing OK. Still nowhere near I want to be. Especially when it came to Logic Games. I really failed on getting those done after the basic ordering questions, although my diagrams were mostly on-point. They took me forever to finish. Hoping I can improve on these, but wanting to focus on Logical Reasoning for now, per the schedule.

The other thing that was pretty tough on the diagnostic was lack of stamina. I really ran out of steam, and I’m sure it hurt my score.

I want to start reviewing the LR questions I got wrong on PT 62. I was wondering: Are Graeme Blake’s explanations similar enough to your approach that it won’t hinder my learning process? I just want to be careful that, here in the beginning, I’m not getting conflicting methods. I like the Manhattan forums, but they seem to not be consistent enough. I like that Blake is a single source approaching it all.

Thanks Mike! Here’s to hoping I can improve 🙂

• April 14, 2016 at 9:37 am #1723
      Mike Kim
      Keymaster

Hi Hunter —

I feel most certain you will improve — if there was a way for me to bet some money on it I would definitely do so —

Graeme and I have some differences in mindset/methods, as all teachers do, but there is no doubting the quality of his work, and I imagine you’ll be just fine using his solutions in conjunction w/ the Trainer —

And I definitely get what you mean about Manhattan — one benefit of having multiple voices, though, is that it can often give you some interesting perspective (especially when you notice that two top scorers approach a q in different ways) — in addition, if whatever you see leaves you unsatisfied, you can always ask them follow up q’s, and, in my opinion, a lot of those teachers who will be responding to you are some of the best experts in the field — so, I think both Graeme and the Manhattan forums are good options —

And lastly, of course, whenever u get stumped on something and can’t find a solution that helps clear things up/can’t make a decision on what works best for you, I’m happy to try and offer my thoughts as well —

MK

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.