Drilling

• December 23, 2017 at 10:14 am #3423
    collinowen
    Participant

Hey Mike,

I started the Trainer this past week and it is fantastic so far!

I have not begun drilling yet, and my question was about how much time to allot for drilling. You recommended completing one, at most two, lessons per day. On the 8-week schedule, should I consider one drill session as a lesson, or could I combine drills and lessons?

Let me know what you think, thanks!

• December 26, 2017 at 10:24 am #3427
    Mike Kim
    Keymaster

Hey Collin —

Great to have you on the forum and awesome to hear that you are enjoying the Trainer thus far —

The time it takes to complete each drill will vary quite a bit, depending on the randomness of how many of a game type / q type are within the sections that are being used for the assignments — but on average, I think you can expect the drill sets to take roughly the same amount of time, or a little bit less, as it takes to get through a lesson. And I love the idea of trying to fit in a drill set after a chapter (on the same day), but splitting it up into different days is totally fine as well — it’s a bit of a trade-off between more easily connecting the lesson to your practice vs being able to be at your sharpest, and you’ll probably have/develop a clear sense of what works better for you —

In terms of how to fill that time, a few suggestions —

1) First time solving a problem, time yourself and otherwise do whatever you can to experience it just as you would on the exam.

2) Next, try solving the problem again, this time with as much time as you need. You can either do this after each q or after a set of q’s.

3) Along the way, take note of the problems that cause you trouble — those for which you don’t feel certain of your answer — and, afterward, make sure to study those as carefully as you can.

4) Reach for the answer key / solutions / explanations as late as you possibly can, and as little as you can — it’s not that these tools aren’t useful (they certainly are!) — I just think this makes it much easier to develop your own internal sense / instincts about when you’ve gotten a q right vs when you haven’t, etc.

5) Return to problems/games that cause you trouble and try solving them again and again as necessary until you feel mastery. Better to truly master fewer problems than to practice more problems with less mastery.

And of course, if you need anything along the way, don’t hesitate to get in touch —

HTH and good luck with your studies — MK

• December 31, 2017 at 2:27 pm #3442
    collinowen
    Participant

Thanks for the helpful tips! I will be in touch with any questions that come up along the road.

-Collin

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.