Anyone here in their late 30s or 40s?

• April 23, 2016 at 9:38 am #1768
      bbuoy10
      Participant

I was a law student in my early 20s but life intervened, and I withdrew from my program. I’m reapplying for fall 2017 and wanted to know if there were any other older applicants on the forum.

Thanks.

• April 23, 2016 at 11:14 am #1769
      LSAT Dan
      Participant

I’m no longer an applicant; I’m a full-time LSAT tutor and curriculum creator.  But I’m in my 40s, and I went to law school in my mid-30s; started when I was 36, and graduated when I was 38 and practiced law starting at age 39.  The best thing I can tell you about it is, be sure to use your life experiences in those intervening years for your personal statement.  Admissions people like anything that sets a candidate apart.

• April 23, 2016 at 1:40 pm #1770
      bbuoy10
      Participant

Thanks. I’ve been drafting my statement and plan to use a lot of my life experience to explain why I want to go back to school.

• June 1, 2016 at 4:40 pm #1944
        trasi28
        Participant

Mr. Lsat Dan Participant, you give a lot of good advice! Do you have any other free tips like that one about “fails to consider” and “takes for granted”? I ask, because after I applied that tiny bit of information, I was able to look at questions differently and answer them with more accuracy. It’s even simplistic, but it never occurred to me before. If not, that’s ok. The language is confusing sometimes.
        I’m so jealous that you have completed already. It sounds like you completed early 36-38 yrs old.

• May 2, 2016 at 4:07 pm #1787
      lacroixf
      Participant

I’m in my early 40’s! Took the LSAT in mid 20’s and scored a 149.  Became a CPA instead. Didn’t prepare much; just read the Kaplan book.  The Trainer is an eye opener!

Life experience and knowing the industry I will practice in really helps add purpose to my applications.

I think I can get to the 170’s with Mike Kim’s Trainer.

• May 2, 2016 at 11:47 pm #1788
      crm923
      Participant

Me! 🙂

I’m in Melbourne, Australia (originally from Milwaukee) and I’m applying for the University of Melbourne’s law school, which is the only one that requires the LSAT here. I turn 44 in September (unbelievable!). I’m having difficulties finding the time to study due to part time university teaching, 2 little children (and being their Mom) and residual fatigue from breast cancer fighting last year! I wish we still had a personal statement as part of the application process here, but they are instead using the LSAT writing. I feel I have a very compelling life history since my bachelor degree studies at Marquette. I am contemplating applying to some American law schools though. We’ll see!

Anyway, glad that I am not alone. Good luck! 🙂

Chris

• May 9, 2016 at 10:42 am #1798
      hunterama1
      Participant

I’m 44 (but look like a damn 29 year old)  (well, at least that what my mother tells me anyway)   😛

• May 9, 2016 at 11:25 am #1800
      Mike Kim
      Keymaster

better than being 44 and looking 59 🙂 —

nice to meet you all —

which of you are studying for june and which of you for sept?

• May 9, 2016 at 4:30 pm #1802
      carmenstclaire
      Participant

Don’t laugh, I’m over 50. How do I enter my photo? Spent my life as dancer, singer, actress, writer. Got my Paralegal degree in 2011. Opposed to mass incarceration in this country, trying to help poor prisoners with post-conviction relief. Only way to do it is by becoming a lawyer, a paralegal can only function in the capacity of a ‘jailhouse lawyer’. This is a ministry for me, I am not in it for the money at all. I plan to offer my services pro bono.

• May 9, 2016 at 10:11 pm #1809
      hunterama1
      Participant

Pleasure to meet you both.  I’m studying for June (and September).

• June 6, 2016 at 8:51 pm #1968
      bjwat72
      Participant

Hey, I’m rapidly approaching 44 in September. Don’t give up if law school is your dream and you are driven. I took the LSAT 3 times and did not perform well. That won’t stop me though, I won’t let a standardized test defeat me. I’m in my  second year of my MBA and doing really well. This is my second career, I was a long distance truck driver for 20 years and was permanently disabled in an oil field accident in March 2013. The silver lining is that I was able to earn my undergrad while recovering and I graduated Magna Cum Laude. I never thought I’d ever go to college, much less take the LSAT or be halfway through B-School. I’m not giving up, so don’t you give up either! Age is just a number!

God say’s to do what you can with what you have and he will do the rest. He put your dreams and your desires of your heart there. I’ll be praying for you all!

• June 7, 2016 at 10:13 pm #1970
      misha
      Participant

Hello! I’m 43. I am finally finishing my B.S. in Poli. Sci and will take my first LSAT in September. I wanted to be a lawyer when I was in high school, but let others dictate my dreams and plans. Now, I’m the mom of eight (four of whom are off and on their way), and the author of many books (a couple even did well)! I’ve been able to accomplish a lot of dreams but this is the one that I never thought possible. Frankly, for a long time, I didn’t think I was smart enough. And then I remembered – when I was kid, on sick days, I used to get an LSAT prep book my dad had on the bookshelf and I killed it…even back then at 14 or 15. Mike Kim’s book is helping me remember that person who didn’t know about “right and wrong” answers and test fear and whatever. I’m excited because this actually feels like a dream that could come true.

• June 8, 2016 at 8:22 am #1971
      Mike Kim
      Keymaster

Awesome to have you here, Bobby and Michelle — and I love reading about your backgrounds and your goals — excited to get to know you all better and work on this together with you — Mike

• June 13, 2016 at 7:56 am #1998
      rogjwnd
      Participant

I’m 46. Taking the LSAT in September with a goal of 175 or bust. I’ve been studying since February with Mike’s materials as well as Powerscore. I have a varied background that includes legal work in the 90’s for some of the largest law firms in the world to InfoSec and Web Development currently. I’m calling this part of life “Step One” and all I’m thinking about is September 24. I find that my biggest enemy is time. As in, I need to be much faster, and yeah, I’d love three extra months. I’ve been devoting about 10 hours a week to this so far, but as of today I’ve bumped that up to 15. I’ll be spending most weekends from here on out studying and taking practice tests under simulated conditions. All social activities are on hold until October. All of my family/friends are being extremely supportive and helpful and that has gone a long way to taking some of the pressure off.

Its nice to see the other old folks here. I know age is just a number, and honestly I can’t think of a better way to spend my 50th year than to graduate from a top law school. My plans have nothing to do with BigLaw or partnerships or any of that. I like to think that my future classmates will be more accepting of my contributions when they realize we aren’t going to be competing for the same jobs, clerkships, etc.

Best of study to all (luck is for chumps!) and I look forward to seeing everyone’s progress and success!

• June 13, 2016 at 2:25 pm #2002
      Mike Kim
      Keymaster

Great to have u, Rogjwnd — hope u find the site to be a welcome companion to your prep, and if u need any help don’t hesitate to reach out – Mike

• June 14, 2016 at 9:57 pm #2033
      feelinglawful
      Participant

I just want to say, I’m rooting for each of you! I am a bit younger at 26 (almost 27…) than most in this post, but I know life happens to us all. With enough determination and the right mindset, anything can happen, regardless of what age we are.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.