Reply To: Free Live Event Nov 30 – Dec 2

November 30, 2015 at 7:04 pm #888
Mike Kim
Keymaster

V-Nelson: “The question that I came across yesterday was from “The Official LSAT Preptest #65” Section 2, Game 1, question 5: “How many of the students are there any one of whom could perform fourth”? (A) one (B) two (C) three (D) four (E) five.

It is pertaining to an ordering game with exactly five spots and five choices.
With my game drawn, I do not know how to effectively attempt the question without going through each individual choice. I do have the trainer and will look at those lessons, thank you!”

Hi Victoria —

Those can be really tough, and those are classic time-suckers — a couple of general thoughts first —

1) notice they asked it as the last q– for these types of q’s, it can be helpful to utilize some of the work you’ve done for previous q’s.

2) it’s a question type I discuss on page. 385 as “consider all possibilities” in case you are interested (that lesson probably won’t make a whole lot of sense taken out of context/until you get there in your studies) —

Now on to that specific q —

if you combine the rules together for that game, what you figure out is that —

The HF chunk (in either order) will take up 2 of the 5 spaces and

Both G and K will have to go before this chunk.

So, the HF pair will either go in slots 3 and 4, or 4 and 5.

This severely limits who can go in slot 4 (which is why they asked about that slot).

Hopefully, in a best case scenario, if you’ve played the game well up that point, you’ve either
a) set up the game with two boards, one with the HF pair in slots 3/4 and the other with them in 4/5 (with all the subsequent inferences that yields) —
or
b) you feel comfortable enough w/the game to have a good sense of the possibilities for that slot.

And so you won’t need to test out all possibilities to get to an answer (though you may want to test certain ones to confirm) —

However, sometimes things won’t go as planned, and in these cases, when you can’t see inferences, you will need to test out options. When you need to do so, often, if your fundamentals are correct, trying just one or two will help you see an inference that you may have missed earlier on.

I hope that helps and let me know if you have any follow-up q’s — Mike