Reply To: Free Live Event Nov 30 – Dec 2

November 30, 2015 at 5:57 pm #876
Mike Kim
Keymaster

Thanks for stopping by! — we are now live and I’ll be here for the next couple of hours to help in any way I can with anything LSAT-related —

I figured I’d get kick us off w/some tips for your final pt(s) —

Let’s start by thinking a bit about test day — a few points —

1) Your test day score matters, your practice scores don’t (duh).

2) Whether you are easily excitable or calm by nature, the importance of the exam will, in good and bad ways, impact how your brain works during the exam.

3) Having better expectations about this “intensity” and being better prepared for it makes it easier for you to gain more of the positive benefits, such as increased focus.

4) Being surprised by this intensity and less prepared for it makes it easier for you to fall prey to the negative consequences.

So, with all that said, I recommend that you use your final pt(s) to get as prepared for the test day experience as you possibly can —

Some suggestions for this:

1) Make sure to take the exams as realistically as you possibly can. Try to convince yourself as much as possible that the practice test is the real thing (and then, on test day, some people like to pretend the real thing is just another practice test, as well). Get in a location where you will absolutely not be interrupted, insert an extra dummy section, don’t give yourself extra breaks, and so on — whatever you can do to make it as much like the real thing as possible.

2) Before the pt, take a bit of time (max 30 mins) to remind yourself of the most important strategies — your basic approach to each LR q (and perhaps common traps you know you tend to get tempted by), your big picture understanding of what can happen in games, how you plan to read the RC passages, and so on.

Make sure to, as part of this, consider backup strategies and your overall section strategies — remind yourself of how you can tell you ought to take a best shot on an RC q and move on, what you will do if you find yourself running out of the time in a certain section, etc. Think back through your past p.t.’s, consider the challenges you’ve had, and consider how you’d now best approach these challenges if you were to see them again.

3) Do your best to not just evaluate your performance based on whether you found the test easy or hard, but, rather, on how well you dealt with challenges. If you started running out of time in a section, did you invest your remaining time wisely, or did you waste it on the wrong problems? Did you allow yourself to get stuck on certain q’s, games, or passages, and end up not having the time you needed for other problems (that you could have more easily gotten right), or did you consistently make good decisions about when to keep working on a problem and when to stop?

You may have different methods of evaluating your performance that fit you better, but regardless, the important point is that —

a) it’s human nature to want our final pt’s to go smoothly, because of what we think that means for test day

but

b) one of the most important functions of pt’s is to expose you to challenges and help you get prepare for them/get used to them.

Remember — your test day score matters, and your pt scores don’t.

So, as you take and review your final pt(s), make sure to focus on the factors that you feel will be most important for success on test day.

Hope that helps and if you have any questions or comments please type below!