Reply To: Discouraged

June 26, 2017 at 3:45 pm #3146
Mike Kim
Keymaster

Hey —

I’m sorry you feel so discouraged, and I’m not sure if you are looking for tips from me or from other students —

But from my perspective, I don’t think you should put a lot of weight into score changes from pt to pt, especially this early on in your study process —

I actually think it’s great you’ve already gone up 4 pts, but I also think it’s important to keep in mind that scoring increases are typically haphazard (you might go down three points on your next one, and then up eight the one after, or vice versa) and, in general, they tend to come later on in your study process — solving a single LSAT problem requires bringing a variety of skills and habits together, and it takes time for us to a) develop these skills and habits and b) get used to knowing when to do what —

As I discuss in the book, I think that evaluating your studies in terms of the development of skills and habits is the most direct and effective way to see and feel that you are actually improving, and improving in a way that gives you confidence about test day —

The development of effective skills and habits occurs when you truly deepen your understanding of what is on the test and what determines right and wrong, when you learn or figure out effective strategies that align with this correct understanding, and get plenty of practice at applying that understanding and those strategies in the moment (ideally, first mostly in concentrated drill sets then in mixed work) —

So, every time you sit down to study, you want to make sure that you accomplish specific and positive goals that improve your skills and habits — you come away knowing a certain topic better, or with more effective strategies, or you feel you’ve getting and better at developing specific skills and habits —

Over the long term, if you can feel the above most of the days that you study, by the end of the process you will be in a totally different place than when you started.

And, even when you struggle or don’t feel mastery over certain issues, the benefit of thinking in this way is that you’ll come away with a much more specific (and thus easier to accomplish) understanding of your own strengths and weaknesses —

All stuff I say a million times in theTrainer, but figured I’d mention it here —

Let me know if I can help in any other way — Mike