Reply To: Better to post pone or take the risk on an score averaged?

May 12, 2017 at 5:20 pm #3086
Mike Kim
Keymaster

Hi Katharine Mary — thanks so much for comments! —

Here are my thoughts — feel free to use what you’d like and ignore the rest —

1) Not sure about other countries but assuming you are in the U.S., schools only care about your highest score — everything else, including # of times taking, postponing, etc. are of no significant consequence.

2) Of course I’m biased and it’s my job to say this, but — this may be the most important test you will ever take, and that doesn’t mean in any way that the score defines you (the test says almost nothing about how smart you are, etc.) but it does mean you really owe it to yourself to take it when you feel you have a chance to perform at your best.

3) Performing at your best also means being in good testing shape (not only having studied enough, but having been able to study consistently up until test day) — and, with life getting in the way for all of us, of course you have to be realistic about when you have the best chance to be in your best test-taking shape, and maybe June is that best chance.

4) In terms of thinking about whether you’ve put yourself in position to perform at your best, I think the key questions are
a) have you given yourself enough of a chance to understand the test as best you can?
b) have you given yourself enough of a chance to learn the best strategies for it?
c) have you given yourself enough of a chance to practice it?

You can use the Readiness Checklist to help with this assessment if you’d like —

Again, I understand that real life forces us to make tough decisions, but, in a perfect world, my advice is always to take as much time as you need to score as high as you can — you probably took at least 4 years to get your G.P.A., and, in terms of getting into law school, your LSAT score will be more important (but keep in mind I am, of course, highly-biased) —

Hope that helps and good luck! —

Mike