Reply To: Drill Ordering Games Set 2

October 11, 2016 at 1:15 pm #2771
Mike Kim
Keymaster

Hi Bev and Julie —

Those two games are both ordering games with subset issues and so the most relevant information will be what is in lessons 10 and 11 — there are also other games with similar characteristics sprinkled throughout —

Here are a few more specific thoughts —

For game 3 —

Notice that the subsets are not important for the rules — it’s just a weird twist given to the elements themselves — so, what I did, and what I would recommend, is I made a diagram to represent the relationship between all the ordering rules, then, separately, notated the information about the night and day shifts — see if that helps.

Again, the key for this game is the relationship between the ordering rules — so, it might be helpful for you to consider whether a) you didn’t see that as the key to the game or b) you are finding it difficult to link ordering rules together. Or, of course, I could be totally wrong and it could be something else.

For game 4 —

This is a fairly straightforward ordering game with subsets — you can either —

a) use capital letters for people and lowercase for places, which I generally recommend as your default

or

b) draw two sets of lines, one to represent the order of stops and the other the order of people.

Again, either way would work out just fine —

The rules themselves are, to me, what make this game interesting / somewhat unusually challenging —

The rule about Rosa “still being on board” when the van reaches Manila is a bit more complicated than just a basic ordering rule, in that R could be before M, or at the same stop as M — so, you want be careful with that, and one way to deal with it would be to notate that R can’t come after M.

The more unusual rule is the last one, which gives us a conditional, essentially “If J isn’t before F…,” and then uses the term “otherwise” to give us another conditional, one that gives us the consequences of if J is before F. The two conditionals, together, create a limited number of ways in which the game can play out, and so understanding this rule is both, in my opinion, the most challenging aspect of the game, but also the most useful rule.

Hope some of that helps — to summarize, yes, subsets definitely do make everything a big more complicated/annoying, and they certainly made these games more difficult, but with these games it could have also been the specific inferences/understanding required by the rules (the linking of ordering rules in game 3 and the weird conditional in 4) that challenged you as well, or it could have been some combination of all these things, and so you want to take all that into account when you study and review —

When games get like these, it can feel a bit like having to juggle one too many balls — definitely challenging at first for pretty much everyone, but as long as your foundational skills are strong, you should definitely expect that you’ll get more comfortable combining them with practice — hope my thoughts helped at least a bit and good luck with your practice work —

MK

Mike