Reply To: Logic Games Drills – Timing?

August 22, 2016 at 9:07 am #2473
Mike Kim
Keymaster

Hey Zach — figuring out those first steps on a q — whether to draw a new diagram, where to put in the new info, and so on, is both important and challenging, and there will definitely be a lot of advice about it in the q-specific sections of the book, but just some quick highlights for now —

1) The vast majority of q’s, what I think of as pretty much the “standard” q’s, will
a) either give you a new condition or not &
b) ask what must be true, could be true, could be false, or must be false

There are other types of q’s, but again, most of the q’s u see will fit the above description, and they are your “bread and butter” q’s —

When you are given a new condition, you are right that you ought to connect it to previous information —

In general, you want to look for matches in terms of the elements discussed (that is, try to connect first to rules discussing same elements) or the positions discussed —

As I mentioned in the first message, you should expect the condition to set off a chain of inferences — it always will —

Sometimes this chain will be very short, and, if you are in control of a game, there will be no need to write it all out /draw a new diagram–

However, other times, and I think this should be your default action to start, you’ll want to draw out a new diagram for that q with the original info you had, then add to it the new condition and additional inferences —

When you are not given a new condition, sometimes getting the right answer will depend on
a) just directly using inferences you may have / should have gotten up front (easiest)
b) thinking of things that you never would have thought of / didn’t need to think of initially but that nonetheless easy to see per what you know of a game
c) making unexpected or advanced inferences that are very difficult to see unless you specifically seek them out.

Situations a) and b) typically will not require you to draw out a new diagram(s), though you may want to quickly jot down some notes and such as you do your work —

Situation c) may very well require you to draw out a new diagram(s) and push you to think about the game in ways you didn’t need to during your setup — these can sometimes be the toughest/ longest to solve q’s in a games section.

So that’s the general experience to expect for standard q’s — hope that helps somewhat — I promise everything will become much clearer when the Trainer goes into more specific instruction about problem-solving / shows more detailed explanations of problem-solving —

In the meantime, one final tip is to know that, in general, though you can often expect to make new diagrams/quick notes per the given question stems, you should rarely have to make new diagrams or try out various hypotheticals and so on to evaluate individual answer choices — maybe just a few q’s a section at most —

I often recommend students use that as a gauge of their LG progress — the better and better you get at games, you should expect to have to do less and less work with the answers —

Hope that helps and hope the studying goes well — let me know if things don’t progress as you’d like and I’ll be happy to try and help —

Mike