Reply To: Further Inference

July 22, 2016 at 3:35 pm #2289
Mike Kim
Keymaster

Hey Timothy —

Hope the studying is going well —

Not to sound like a stalker or anything, but I have to mention that I also happen to be a huge fan of both the Truman Show and East of Eden —

You should definitely expect to see certain inferences that I don’t notate, and vice-versa —

In terms of this particular inference, however, I think you ran into trouble when you assumed that P and R must go in the first two positions — we don’t know that for sure, and that’s why we can’t make that inference.

Some guesses as to where things went wrong for u:

1) Perhaps you misread the rule that 2 are experienced and 4 inexperienced or
2) Perhaps it just slipped your mind that there are other (unmarked) “i” slots on the board.

If it’s #2, one thing I suggest you consider really focusing on in your diagramming and mindset is being very, very careful about separating out what could be true vs what must be true — as I’ll discuss a lot more later in the Trainer, must be vs could be is the essential divide between right and wrong answers (it’s also one of the toughest things for us to keep organized in our minds ) so, as you diagram and make inferences, you always want to questioning and considering whether the inferences represent possibilities or absolutes.

Not sure if the above is relevant to your situation, but it’s something I feel is very important so I thought it was worth mentioning —

In any case, hth, and if you have any follow-up just let me know — MK