Reply To: Old tests v New

July 11, 2016 at 10:41 am #2241
Mike Kim
Keymaster

Hello Tiwinkle! —

It’s so great to hear that you are finding the Trainer useful, and congrats on the score improvements —

In terms of the older exams, I have a few thoughts —

a) I do think the score will be fairly accurate and if I were you I wouldn’t be too concerned with your scores jumping too much from, say, the PT’s you took in the 20’s to PT’s in the 60’s or 70’s. The tests are definitely similar enough so that a 169 on PT 25 means essentially the same thing as a 169 on PT 75.

b) That doesn’t mean there aren’t some differences among the exams, and, if at all possible, I recommend you try to intersperse some more recent q’s into your drilling (and in my opinion redoing problems you may have already tried is still great practice, especially at your score level) —

c) …And, if at all possible, try to save as many of the most recent tests as possible to be used as “fresh,” final pt’s before test day.

d)The biggest differences, in my opinion, are that Logic Games have become a bit more predictable, LR q’s have become a bit more black/white, and RC passages, of late, have become a bit more dense —

e) But do keep in mind these issues are very subtle — the underlying structure of the exam has stayed remarkably consistent, and the rules of reasoning will never change —

So, to add it all up, totally fine to use those previous PT’s for your practice, but you just want to try and avoid limiting yourself to just older tests, and, if possible, you want to work on the most recent exams closest to test day —

I’ll stop myself there — hope that helps — if you have any follow-up or need anything else just let me know — MK