Reply To: It's not the game type, it's the rules

June 18, 2016 at 4:50 pm #2071
LSAT Dan
Participant

Very interesting post; I’d definitely be interested in seeing an example. With respect to sorting game types, I’m far less concerned with categorizing games than pretty much anyone else in this business whose written materials I’ve seen. I often get students either in the classes I teach or as private tutoring students who, after I’ve started to work through a game with them, will ask me questions like, “Is this a Matching game or an Assignment game?” Beats the heck out of me…call it whatever you want, but this is how to handle it.

However, I don’t focus on the rule types, either; instead, my own personal emphasis is on diagram types. The way I do games, there are four basic diagram types that will cover 90-95% of all games you might run into, and I think that’s the most important thing you need to be able to accurately and quickly assess when taking on a games section: “What diagram is going to help me visually organize this information as efficiently as possible?”

My own teaching/tutoring involves a combination of conventional wisdom and original approaches, and the one area in which my approach differs the most from what most courses/books teach is with respect to logic games (not just categorization, but solving approaches). As they say, many different roads lead to Rome.