Reply To: Logic Game Trouble

May 13, 2016 at 6:46 am #1832
Anonymous
Inactive

Hi, yjameson. I just wanted to add a student’s perspective as well. As someone who really, really, really,really struggled with games as well, i know what you’re going threw. I think I asked countless and countless amounts of people about what to do to get better, and at some point It still wasn’t helping. I followed the 7sage strategy of repeating games over and it still wasn’t clicking.  Overall, i was struggling on the entire test and i was almost about to give up frankly. Then i asked Mike about what could I do to improve on the entire test, and things have begun to turn around since.I  have never really had any problem with diagramming, or understanding rules. (for the most part) I ALWAYS had problems with the same thing you did, making inferences, and simply executing on games .Of course everything these guys have said is true and necessary, but if I could emphasize just a few things that  Mike said it would be this.

First, I began to really focus on the one or two rules that impact the game the most. I think sometimes people who are just off the charts at taking the LSAT, or just simply folks those who give advice on the LSAT often forget students who are just beginning or asking for advice may not understand steps that would often seem common. That’s what i really like about Mike actually, he assumes you know absolutely nothing about this test. I think understanding the rules that are most important is critical to success. It’s basically what a game centers around. I like thinking of it almost like a puzzle piece or math problems. There are certain pieces to a puzzle or elements to an equation that are so important that you have to figure out what happens to them first. In other words, they help make everything else clearer and easier to understand. If you are not aware of the role that those pieces or elements play, you will probably get turned around and confused at some point. You’re essentially focusing on the biggest rule/rules that must be true.

Secondly, once you know what rules are most important, you wanna begin to visualize how they fit with the other pieces of the game. Once I have written the rules and diagrammed a structure for the game, I actually try to think about how the rules will all come together before I actually look at the first question.  I just take the rules that seem to play the biggest role in the game, and i visually apply them first. Then i apply the other rules. (this is all visual) All I’m trying to do here is think about how the rules interact with each other so i can find inferences. Sometimes it really helps, and sometimes it’s still hard to see how things interact. If you’re just not seeing how the rules interact, just move on. The goal is not to exactly see how everything works all the time, it’s simply to try and make inferences that would have otherwise been harder to see.

For me these two things really helped me boost my score. The transformation in how i see games has been dramatic. I’m still not perfect, but i have improved a great deal. As far as logic games are concerned for me it’s just a matter of timing and feeling rushed. When there is no time limit, I hardly get anything wrong with this approach. I find myself not even needing to look at a video review for 90 percent of the games i do now, whereas I use to us it as a crutch lol. Games can be handled, and you can do it! I just wanted to add my 2 cents about what has worked for me recently in respect to understanding games a lot better, and feeling confident in my approach. If you think this contradicts something that you think, or something that the instructors have stated by all means ignore it lol. The last thing I would wan’t to do is confuse you. I just wanted to let you know how and why i’m improving. Maybe it can help you along the way!