Reply To: Logic Game Trouble

April 25, 2016 at 4:15 am #1773
blakemoore
Participant

Learning to make inferences takes time, but you absolutely can develop the ability! Clearly, you are capable of solving the games; it just takes time. Great! That’s something you can work with. I recommend that you do the following:

• Take a game section (preferably an easier one at first) and work through it. Take as long as you need!
  • Once you’ve solved the games, review. At this point, you’ll probably notice a few inferences that you could have noticed up-front when you were writing the rules (and a few question-specific inferences that would have really helped!). Make a note of them, and try to think through how you know these inferences are true.
  • Write down a better set-up for the game. Now that you have worked through the game, you should have a better idea of how to set it up. (Hindsight is 20/20 after all).
  • Erase your work for that game, and take it again. It’s okay to repeat games; in fact, I think it helps most of my students a lot. But this time, try to make the inferences faster!
  • Repeat with the other games in the section!

This is a tedious process, but it really helps. I know it helped me when I was preparing for the test. After working through these steps, it can also be good to look at a “professional” work through the game. 7Sage videos are really good more often than not, and they are free. Or if you want some one-on-one instruction, getting a tutor can be helpful. (I’d be willing to give you a free hour of tutoring if you want to work through a couple games with me.)

Just don’t get discouraged. That games are hard, but you can learn how to approach them. In fact, I’d argue that they are the most learn-able portion of the test.