Reply To: Expanding the 16-Week Schedule

April 4, 2016 at 12:16 pm #1654
Mike Kim
Keymaster

Hi Hunter —

Nice to meet you online, and thanks so much for trusting in the Trainer — excited to see what you think of it (especially because you are a teacher) and, more importantly, I hope it helps you get where you need/want to get —

My advice is to start with the 16 week schedule as a backbone, keep some extra weeks free (and you can even print out extra blank schedule pages to account for these weeks in your calendar or notebook or whatever) — and then, as you get deeper into your prep process, utilize those extra weeks to do additional work in any areas where you see fit — if you feel you need more drilling with a particular LR q type, or you want to go back and reassess/rebuild how you are reading RC passages, you just get the sense you are going to need more practice exams then the schedule suggests and so on, you can make those types of adjustments —

To oversimplify and use a high school-based analogy —

The LSAT is very tough, but the challenge isn’t like the challenge of learning Calculus or learning to interpret Shakespeare (what I think of “advanced” topics because, well, those topics are “well beyond my capacity to easily understand”) — the challenge is much more akin to having to bring together the basic and fundamental things you are learning in your English and math classes, but in ways that you are not used to bringing them together —

And that’s a big reason why I believe that the best study schedule is a flexible one — each student has his or her own unique set of strengths and weaknesses, and the best students are often the ones that are best at tailoring their study schedules to best match those strengths and weaknesses —

I think that being in your shoes, and having some extra time ahead and some extra weeks to play with, puts you in a great position to get in whatever you end up needing most — so again, my opinion is that it’s best to just start with that schedule, and also with the understanding that you will be adjusting it along the way —

Hope that helps, and if you’d like any more specific thoughts or advice at any point further down your study process, just let me know and I’ll try to help in any way I can — and again, I’m excited to see what you think of the Trainer and hope you find it useful —

Take care — Mike