Reply To: Building Automaticity & Accuracy in LG

March 2, 2016 at 4:07 am #1548
letshigh5
Participant

Mike, never apologize for lengthy posts.  Anyone lucky enough to read them — and for free, no less! — should be grateful for all of the work you put into them.  Again, that’s what makes you different; you care enough to share so much with your readers because you obviously want to help them as much as possible.  And that, of course, is very commendable.

Your general “3 main skills” section is applicable to all Lsatters out there and we’re very grateful for it.  Regarding your more specific “a few smaller suggestions” relative to me, though, I fear I may have unintentionally mislead you in the previous post.  I’m not going to be PT’ing all #39-77.  Instead, I’m just saving those as “clean” tests for practice testing and using #1-38 for LG drilling.  In total, I’m guessing that I’ll take 20-25 PTs before the “big day” in September.  Moreover, I was planning on cycling through old and new PTs and do a higher number of tests in the 70’s closer to that actual test day.  (For example: 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 41, 46, 51, 56, 61, 66, 71, 72, 73, 74, 76, and 77).  If a re-take in December became necessary, then I’d dip back into those “clean” PTs to practice again.

That being said, I would like to ask a follow-up question based on something important you stated in your reply.  Specifically, you said that you “suggest that students use drilling for most of their improvement and then switch to PTs in order to firm up skills/habits and get ready for test day”.  I was originally going to spend 3 months drilling (March – May) and 3 1/2 months PTing (June – August/Early Sept).

• Do you think it might be advisable to spend 4 months drilling instead and 2 1/2 months PTing?  In either case, of course, I will always review what I go wrong, why I got it wrong, and trying to correct it on the subsequent drill/PT.
  • Also, do you think it’s okay if I do stick with #1-38 LG games and I can cover the newer LG games during the PT phase? Or, should I just use up some of those “clean” PTs for the drilling stage instead?  My only concern with the latter is using up too many PTs if I decide to re-take in December.  I’m doing the usual “hope for the best, plan for the worst” approach.

Thanks again for your advice on these two questions!  I hope other Lsatters are reading this post and finding it relevant to their LG approach, as well. 🙂

-Adam